Spend 5-10 minutes rolling, focusing on areas of discomfort (tolerable, not torture).
Use a Foam Roller, Massage Stick, Massage Ball, or Massage Gun. Spend 20-30 seconds per area. For areas needing extra attention (tender or painful), 60 seconds is ideal.
- 20-60 seconds per area
- Slower = deeper
- Hold and breathe on tender areas
- Repeat 3-5 days a week for best results
- Advanced: Hold on an area and perform 5 joint movements
Tips for Measuring Progress
- Begin by assessing the range of motion of the target joint or muscle. Does it appear limited, feel tight, or hurt?
- Complete the sequence.
- Re-assess. Some people will see major improvements, and some will only see minor improvements, but any improvement is a good sign to keep doing this.
- Repeat the sequence 3-5 days a week for as long as needed to get the desired result. No matter what, this kind of maintenance on the body will be beneficial; self-treatment is good preventive care.